Friday, November 18, 2016

Episode Five: In Which We Meet Bob

A few hours later, things were winding down in the library. Sierra had supervised and helped out where necessary, but since all of the children were old enough to read and write fluently, she was more of a facilitator than a tutor these days. As everyone cleaned up their projects and put away their resources for the time being, Sierra made her way to the kitchen to start dishing up lunch. As she walked into the hallway, the driveway chime pinged, alerting her to the fact that Jordan had replaced the batteries on his way out that morning (she had wondered how Teddy had gotten to the front door early that morning), and that someone was on their way down the driveway. Feeling the reassuring weight of her Glock 19 in its Blade Tech IWB Kydex holster, she was at the front door with Kahra as the visitors made their way to the front porch. The children had heard the driveway chime as well, and Caisson and Knox stood in the hallway behind Sierra. 

"Looks like it's Bob Smith from across the road," Sierra told them when she saw the light blue Prius round the slight bend in the driveway. "He's got a teenage guy and a younger girl with him."

"Oh, that's Luke and Hannah," Caisson replied. "Cadence and I talked to them about a week ago at the community center. They said

their mom had just pulled them from the town school to start homeschooling, and then Ranger and Hannah started talking science stuff and the rest of us kinda tuned out."

"I'll step out front and talk to them, I think. I haven't gotten to know Bob very well yet," Sierra said as she unlocked the storm door and let Kahra out onto the porch. Kahra stood on the porch and sniffed the air, then took a seat in front of the storm door after Sierra closed it. Caisson locked the storm door behind them and she and Knox nonchalantly positioned themselves in the kitchen and edge of the hall, where they could hear if their mother needed them (and listen in if she didn't).

Bob Smith waved as he exited the car and walked to the front steps. "Good afternoon, Sierra. Sorry to stop by unannounced but I didn't have access to your number. It was, uh, it was in Susie's phone and that's not, uh, in my possession right now."

"I'm so sorry for your loss, Bob," Sierra responded with a sad smile. "I'm sure the police will do their best to get this figured out, and they'll get Susie's things back to you when they can. Would you all like to sit down?"




The children headed straight up onto the porch and sat down in some of the various chairs; Sierra noted that Hannah chose a wicker chair near her and tucked her feet under her, appearing instantly at ease, while Luke slouched into an Adirondack-style chair further away. Bob hesitated slightly, looking at Kahra.

"That's some dog you've got there, Sierra. I thought you had a German shepherd? Rudy or something like that?" he asked.

"Ruger," Sierra responded. "Technically he's more like a partner for Jordan. Kahra here is more 'my' dog. She's an Irish wolfhound. Don't worry, she's very mellow unless you give her cause for concern. Or are you allergic to dogs?"


"Oh, not allergic, I'm just more accustomed to small dogs. My folks had Yorkies when I was young," Bob said as he slowly stepped up onto the porch. He leaned against the railing right near the steps, trying to look casual, and added that he wouldn't keep her long.

"I'm really sorry to bother you, but Teddy stopped by and said that you were willing to be a contact for the kids, maybe help them sort through some of the school work their mom had set up for them. The police took my statement here, but there are things I'll need to take care of in town today. They said it may take a while. The kids are obviously old enough to be home alone, but mentioned they'd rather not."

"That's fine with me," Sierra said, turning to Hannah and Luke. "Hannah and Luke, right? My kids said they'd chatted with you a bit recently."

Hannah gave a smile while Luke just nodded sullenly. "Bob, I hope this isn't too forward of me, but I would suggest that you not expect any lessons from the kids today. Something like this is, well, not a time that I'd expect it of mine. I'd be happy to look over what Susie had chosen if you have a set curriculum picked out, but I would save it for later."

Bob nodded in agreement. "I guess I didn't think about it that way, since they were at home. If they were in town, I certainly wouldn't make them go to school."

"Could you not talk about us like we aren't sitting right here, Bob?" Luke snapped. Sierra raised an eyebrow as Hannah's eyes got wide. The children call their father by his first name? There was a lot she didn't know about the Smiths, for sure.

Bob's eyes narrowed and his face reddened. "I've asked you not to call me by my first name, Luke. It's rude. But you're right - we shouldn't talk about you like you're not here." Taking a deep breath he continued, "It's up to you. If you want to do the lessons, Miss Sierra will help you. But if you don't think you're up to it, maybe you kids can just play with your friends here."

Luke rolled his eyes. "I'm seventeen years old - I don't really 'play' any more. But yeah, I'd like to just hang out." He straightened a bit in his chair and looked Sierra in the eye. "If you don't mind us here. We won't cause any trouble and I think we'd be safer here."

Now that was unexpected, Sierra thought. Why did he say they'd be safer here, not just feeling safer here?


"You're welcome to stay here until your dad gets back, definitely. I'm sure you'll be no trouble at all. We're about to have lunch; please join us. Bob? Would you like something?" Sierra responded.

Bob shook his head and started down the steps. "I've actually got to head out. Thank you for letting the kids 'hang out' here. Luke has my number in his cell if you need to reach me. Maybe when you have a minute you can have him text me yours. Just in case they need Susie's purse and phone for longer, y'know?"

Kahra watched Bob closely as he left, but didn't move after him. It seemed she was just as puzzled by Bob's behavior as Sierra was - he seemed as though he were just heading off to a business meeting, not the coroner's office. He was almost jovial, compared to how Jordan had described him weeping over his deceased wife's body just hours earlier. He's probably trying to keep it together for the kids now, Sierra thought.

As he got to the door of the Prius, Bob turned and called, "Thank you! I really appreciate this!"

Sierra waved in reply, then turned to Hannah. "So, Hannah, I now know your brother is seventeen. How old are you?"

"I just turned ten. I met Ranger and a couple of your other kids, your big girls. They said you have a lot of kids in your family. It's just us. Thanks for letting us stay with you. I'm really worried about what happened to my mom today. Who would want to hurt my mom? It's just so weird. What are you making for lunch? Can I help? I like to cook!" Hannah headed straight into chatterbox mode and Sierra had to hold back a laugh, considering the way she flew back and forth between the serious subject of her mother's death and all the others.



"Well, Miss Hannah, I have stew in a slow cooker from this morning, so I won't need to much help with the actual cooking. But I'm sure my kids will gladly take some help with getting dishes and drinks out. Let's go inside and I'll introduce you to the ones you haven't met yet. Oh, your dad's almost gone - you might want to give him a wave!" Sierra stood up and watched Bob stop before he backed out into the road. Kahra stood as Caisson came to the storm door and unlocked it.

Hannah waved and headed in the front door, as Luke stood to follow her. As he walked past Sierra, he glanced at her and said softly, "He's not my dad."

No comments:

Post a Comment